"3 Sides"

There was a line in Top Gun, where he talks about breaking a major rule of engagement.  "You NEVER leave your wing-man."  That is just one of those rules you don't break.  Well, I have this standing rule that I typically refuse to break.  However, today I did.  Dang it!!  I hate when I do that. It's simple, there are 3 sides to every story... your side, their side, and the TRUTH.  Typically when I'm giving someone advice or listening to their story, I never react or give advice based on one side of the story.  There is always another side and typically that side is just as jaded as the other.  See the problem is... people perceive things differently!  Lets put it this way... perception is reality... UNTIL INTERRUPTED BY FACT!  The fact part is typically the truth that is rarely experienced because people are to busy giving others advice based on one side of the story.  I am typically soooo good at waiting to hear or being aware of, the different sides of a story, but I really blew it today.  I'm such a freaking rookie sometimes.  There is nothing more powerful then to sit two people down and hear each side of the story and then help THEM see the TRUTH in what is really going on.  I think the enemy really uses relationships to divide people. I know he uses people who mean well but only take sides when they should serious consider all sides. It's our responsibility to help people discover the TRUTH of what really happened and what needs to change.  Anyway, I blew it today, but it was a good reminder that I must continue to stay neutral and advise people based on the truth not someone's perception of that truth.  Ugh... does that make sense?

3 comments:

  Paul Hinzman

October 4, 2008 at 5:44 AM

Nice to see you blogging! I'll feel more connected to you now.

  www.helpstaff.me

October 4, 2008 at 6:58 AM

Then next line in Top Gun is, Then you broke another one with that circus stunt flyby" Ha...I love that movie!

  Anonymous

October 4, 2008 at 1:45 PM

i've always seen you as this tough, got-it-together, take it in stride guy.. when you say things like you did..it's comforting, knowing you didn't walk out of a factory the way you been to me. keep it up stud