"Tap Shoes"

I was completely upset.  I can't even begin to describe all the emotions I was dealing with a few weeks ago over something as simple as "Tap Shoes."  Here is the story.  My daughter, Alexia, just began a new dance class at the age of 5 years old.  There was a mix up in her registration and the dance academy decided to take it up on themselves to move her out of a class with all her friends to a different day that was less crowded.  Frustrating but we dealt with it.  So her first day arrived and she was so excited.  We got her there on time and while my wife changed her into her ballet shoes I parked the car.  The emotions started quickly when I got into the dance studio and saw my little girl in a line of little girls with her little white ballet slippers on looking down at all the other girls feet as they supported there BRAND NEW TAP SHOES!!!!!  NO ONE TOLD US SHE NEEDED TAP SHOES!!!  I can't describe to you how angry and upset I was.  If you could have seen the look on her face... I completely flashed back to all those times growing up where I felt left out, and I did what any dad in that moment would do... I ran as fast as I could to our car and broke every traffic law getting to the Payless Shoe store down the road.  The lady must have thought I was  nuts as I came sprinting into the store screaming about "Tap Shoes" and stupid dance teachers.  Needless to say by the time I got back they had all changed into their ballet shoes.  I got those tap shoes out of the box and held them up to the window so my daughter could see that she had her own "Tap Shoes" like everyone else.  The look of joy and excitement on her face was what I will remember for the rest of my life.  I love being a dad... but I really hate dance teachers now...

2 comments:

  Anonymous

September 30, 2008 at 4:10 PM

You are the best dad ever, I still cant believe how quick you left and came back. I wont forget the look on her face, you made her feel SO special.

  Anonymous

October 3, 2008 at 5:12 PM

I love Dad