The Cat Is Out Of The Bag...

...and Ray Boltz is out of "the closet."  For those of you who have been a Christian in the last 3 decades you know who Ray Boltz is.  From songs like "Watch The Lamb" and "I Pledge Allegience" to some of my favorites like "Thank You" and "I Will Praise The Lord," Ray's songs have both encouraged us and inspired us.  I don't think many of his songs escaped even the "human video" era of our church's.  He truly was and has been one of the great song writers/singers of the Church.  So maybe it has come as a huge surprise to you that Ray Boltz has announced in the last few weeks that he is in fact "gay."  I guess I am struggling between surprise and, well, not surprised at all.  I believe when I first heard the claim, my first reaction was, "NO WAY!"  However, serving in ministry today, is a lot different than it was years ago.  There seems to be a new "freedom" to confess and be open about our sin.  As much as I love the transparency of calling sin what it is and getting it out in the light, I still feel we have a duty to repent and turn from it.  The purpose of sharing it, is to deal with it.  There is definately a new sense of grace and a non-judgmental spirit in this generation, but that cannot be replaced with complacency and justification.  Ray Boltz at 55 years of age, has decided to embrace the "way God made him," and leave his wife of 33 years to "live a homosexual lifestyle."  I'm truly sorry that he has had to fight this for as long as he can remember, but he is no different than the rest of us who fight the weaknesses and sin that exist in all of us.  I don't judge him for his feelings and desire to live in sin.  We are all sinners and struggle with things that have haunted us for as long as we can remember.  However, just because it seems to have played a role in defining who we are today, does not mean it's ok to indulge in it.  I will not tackle in this blog my feelings on his comment that "it is who God made him to be."  I personally think that is a lie from the enemy that any of us, wether we are alcoholic's or adulterers or abusive or even liars, could claim and just accept.  Ray, God has used you in a tremendous way, I believe He has blessed you because of your faithfulness to what is right and for struggling for so long.  I believe your "sin" is no different than mine, I have just chosen to call it what it is... sin.  When we start saying that our sin is not our choice, that it is what we were born to be, then we are simply saying that God created us to live a life counter to or against what He has called us and even commanded us to live in freedom from.  Homosexuality is a sin. It is a sin like a lot of sins all of us struggle to stay in victory over.  However, the wages of sin is still DEATH...  May we continue to be transparent...  May we continue to battle the flesh... And may we continue to live in the blessing of God as we strive to live holy before Him who called us out of darkness into His MARVELOUS LIGHT!!!  I am truly saying this from my heart... I am praying for you Ray Boltz and your family, who will continue to feel the pain of this decision for years to come.

2 comments:

  Unknown

September 24, 2008 at 7:38 AM

wow! Where did you read the article about this ? I want to find it...

  Dave Mudd

September 24, 2008 at 10:00 PM

http://www.washingtonblade.com/2008/9-12/arts/feature/13258.cfm A lot of things are said in this interview with Ray. Let me know if that works.